Tuesday 31 January 2012

Tuna Patties

I always have a packet of potato mash and a tin of tuna in my pantry. I adore tuna patties and so do my family. (They prefer them with real mashed potato but if I don't tell them, they often don't know the difference if I season these and add parsley.)  Kids just don't care. The secret to perfect patties is to refrigerate the mix until it sets otherwise the starch in the potatoes  tends to explode when heated.

Tuna Patties

1 packet of instant potato mash
1 large tin of tuna in springwater
1 tablespoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
Plain flour for coating
Oil
Alfoil

Make up the instant mash according to direction but use a little less liquid. (Depends on the brand. I usually use a scant 1/4 cup less. You can always add more liquid if the mix is too dry.)
Drain the tuna really well. Mix the two together along with the parsley and lemon pepper.
Spread out a generous sheet of alfoil and shape the mix into a long log. Wrap it up and refrigerate it for at least an hour, until it is cold. Then, simply cut the log into slices, roll them in plain flour, and shallow fry until golden.

So simple, so yum hot or cold.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry there are no pics for this one but they ate them all before I could take a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually we do notice!

    Nonetheless Tuna patties are delicious. The more parsley the better! I've made these in mini size and served with a dollop of tzatziki on each as finger food. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't add an egg? I always put an egg in mine and that helps them stay together along with refrigeration.
    They're lovely barbecued too - much easier as you can fit them all on the hot plate.
    I don't do the log thing, but use an ice cream scoop to scoop out the same amount for each patty. Must remember to do the log next time!
    xx

    ReplyDelete