Wednesday 18 January 2012

Pavlova

While scrolling through my favourite food magazine I once again sighed at the ingredients used in some of the recipes. Now I don't have access to fresh horseradish, moreton bay bugs, bush tomatoes and the like,  so the recipe for a Rolled Wattleseed Pavlova is not one I'll keep. But pavlova is on the agenda today. And it's all because of Meg.

My sisters are the dessert queens in our family. Meg's blog http://bushgourmand.blogspot.com/ has some great ideas. One of her ideas was a freezer challenge where we used up all the food from there before buying more. Well I'm doing it again and found several jars of frozen eggwhites. To my surprise they whipped up superbly and now I just have to find someone to eat the dish I made  because I don't really like pavlova. But I'll bet the kids next door do. Now I just need to decorate it. I'm going to leave it for a day or two to see how well it keeps.




Pavlova
4 egg whites
1 cup caster sugar
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoons of cornflour
1 teaspoon of white vinegar

Method:
Preheat the oven to 240 degrees. Line a non-stick pizza tray with wet brown paper. (Or use a lightly greased oven tray.)
Place the eggwhites and salt into a mixing bwl and beat until whites are stiff. Add the sugar gradually, beating constantly until all the sugar has been added and has dissolved. Use a metal spoon to fold in the vinegar and sifted cornflour.
Spoon the mixture onto the tray and shape into a circle, flattening the top.
Turn down the oven to 120 degrees and bake for one hour or until it is pale cream and crisp.
Remove from the oven. Carefully invert and peel paper away while it is still warm. Turn up the right way and leave to cool.

Decorate with:
1 cup of whipped cream
Passionfruit pulp, strawberries, kiwi fruit or whatever is tangy to offset the sweetness.

7 comments:

  1. Well how apt is this recipe with Australia Day just around the corner!

    I've never made a pav so maybe Australia Day is the perfect excuse to try your recipe :)

    Good to know egg whites freeze well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made my first one last week for a luncheon. This was the recipe I used and they loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my pavlova seeped sugar syrup everywhere before it cooked - any idea why? im terrible at desserts :( it was flat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sugar will melt and seep out as you cook if you don't beat the mixture long enough. Always add the sugar gradually - usually in three lots, and test it has disoved before adding more. Rub some of mix the between your fingertips. It should be completely smooth. And yes it takes ages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruby Lou, if you have a whisk attachment on your electric beaters, use that.
    I threw my egg whites out when I cleaned out my freezer! I just couldn't face having to cook. Sue has been here and we've done nothing but cook, clean up, eat and cook again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmmmm thanks for the advice judy and megan, i think i will try again. also i let the fiance help and he got a tiny bit of yolk in my whites - men in the kitchen! i might invest in some good beaters, for now i will just make sure i beat it for ages! thought it was a problem with the oven being the wrong temp...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruby-Lou, you will also need to make sure that your mixer bowl is scrupulously clean. Not a trace of grease or it will affect the whipping of the whites.

    ReplyDelete